We Build Strength, Stability and Self-Reliance Through Shelter.
Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit housing organization that helps families build and improve places to call home. We believe affordable housing plays a critical role in strong and stable communities.
About Our Affiliate
As a Habitat affiliate we recognize the needs of our three-county service area and provide home ownership opportunities which could include: housing construction; homeowner repairs; community involvement; fundraising; building site selection; partner family selection and support; mortgage servicing; and provide advocacy for safe and affordable homes in the affiliate community. Our affiliate has been involved in numerous homeowner repairs projects and we have just completed our 15th new Habitat home build. Our next build is scheduled to begin in spring in Ladd, IL.
How Does It Work?
Through volunteer labor and donations of money and materials, Habitat builds and rehabilitates simple, decent houses alongside our homeowner (partner) families.
Habitat is not a giveaway program. Habitat homeowners receive financial education, help build their houses and pay an affordable mortgage. The Habitat model provides responsible homeowners with a pride of ownership. Providing a decent place to live with an affordable mortgage helps to create a situation where homeowners can save more, invest in education, pursue opportunity, and have more financial stability. Nothing is given away at Habitat but an opportunity.
Why a ReStore?
Habitat ReStores are nonprofit home improvement stores and donation centers. Profits from ReStores are reinvested into the community to provide a funding stream to support the Habitat mission.
ReStore Primary Benefits
Funds raised by the Habitat ReStore is reinvested right back into the community to allow Habitat to continue and increase our builds, repairs and community service programs.
ReStore Secondary Benefits
- Raise awareness of Habitat for Humanity within the community
- Provide jobs and volunteer opportunities, as well as generate sales tax income
- Offer affordable options for home improvement repairs and projects
- Provide a location for a Community Center – a community space to gather, learn and create
- Assist local business by providing tax and marketing alternatives to their donations as they clear out their surplus inventory
- Provide a recyclable alternative
Our volunteers are the BACKBONE of our 28,000 sq ft Habitat ReStore.
Volunteer opportunities would include:
- Processing of the donated materials – includes:
- Assembly when needed, and
- Any and all preparation needed to make our merchandise showroom ready
- Assistance needed for the offices; showroom; and processing/warehouse areas
- Setups (to include furniture moving; cleaning; painting; setting up of displays, signage, wall units;)
- Greeter/assisting in floor sales - you would happily welcome our guests and answer any questions that they may have about our ReStore.
- When: Volunteers are needed at the ReStore during regular hours - Tuesday-Saturday from 10am to 6 pm.
- Where: 1011 Shooting Park Road, Peru
- What to Bring: Nothing is necessary in order to volunteer. Please wear comfortable clothes that can get dirty and sturdy and closed toed shoes. Habitat id wear and water and refreshments will be available.
- Skill Requirements: No specific skills, except a willingness to learn and help, are needed.
- Arrival on the Site: At the beginning of each work day, our Store Manager will introduce, assign and offer any instruction needed to make this an enjoyable volunteer experience with Habitat.
- Release of Liability: Each Habitat volunteer must sign a Release of Liability form. Volunteers under 18 must have parental permission.
- Kids & Construction: To help ensure a safe work environment, volunteers must be at least 15 years old. Teens, 15 through 17, may work on this limited construction site provided they have parental permission. Those under 18 must not use power tools or climb ladders.
- Safety: Our Store Manager will instruct on any safety measures that are needed.
Volunteers are needed to make our new ReStore a success.
Be involved with this new community business venture.
If there are any additional questions please contact our Store Manager, Brandy Day, at 815-434-2041.
Looking forward to seeing you!
We are unique and inventory will change daily. You can find something new every day!
Check out our local ReStore, online or in person, to view the variety of new and used building materials, appliances and furniture and beyond! Come see what we have in store for you today!
Great stuff, at a Great Price, for a Great Cause!
Donate … Shop … Volunteer